||UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS LIBRARY
- 230 Main Library
- 1408 W. Gregory Dr.
- Urbana, IL 61801
- (217) 333-0790; Fax # (217) 244-4358
Telephone Center (333-8400)
Information Desk (333-2290)
- E-Mail: email@example.com
Ask-A-Librarian Reference Service: http://www.library.uiuc.edu/askus/
- Library A Week Profile
- Get Directions
Type of Library: Academic
- Population Served: 45,706
- Volumes: 10,524,935
- Agency Code: ZIN
- OCLC Code: UIU
- The University Library was founded in 1867 in
the charter establishing the school that became the University
of Illinois. It opened with the school in 1868. With holdings of
more than ten million volumes, it is the third largest
academic library in the United States, circulating annually more
than one million items and attracting more than 50 million visitors
to its Web site each year. Among the library’s most notable collections
are its holdings in Slavic and Eastern European history, literature,
and science; music, especially Renaissance music; 17th- and 18th-century
American and British literature; American, British, and Irish history,
including a distinguished collection of Lincolniana; French, German,
and Italian literature, including world famous Proust, Rilke, Dante,
and Tasso collections; Latin American history and literature; historic
and modern maps; linguistics; entomology, ornithology, botany,
chemistry, and mathematics; and serials across all disciplines. The library
is also known for its outstanding collection of emblem books and incunabula;
and for collections including personal papers of William Maxwell,
William Merwin, John Milton, Marcel Proust, James "Scotty" Reston,
H.G. Wells, Carl Sandburg, and Avery Brundage of the international
Olympic movement. The Grainger Engineering Library Information Center
opened in March 1994, designed to accommodate the latest technology for
library users, including facilities for digital scanning, multimedia
database creation, and on-site testing of new library related software.
In addition, the ACES Library Information and Alumni Center opened in
- •University Librarian: Paula Kaufman, 333-0790,
Fax # 244-4358
- •Associate University Librarian for Information
Technology Planning and Policy: Beth Sandore, 333-0318, E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- •Associate University Librarian for Collections:
Tom Teper, 333-0318; E-Mail: email@example.com
- •Associate University Librarian for Services:
Scott Walter, 333-0318; E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- •Assistant Dean, Library Advancement: Vicki Trimble,
333-5682; E-Mail: email@example.com
- •Interlibrary Loan and Document Delivery: Cherie'
Weible, 244-9907; E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org,
Fax # 244-0398
- •Library Systems Head: John Weible, 244-4688;
- •Mortenson Center for International Library Programs:
Barbara Ford, 333-3085; E-Mail: email@example.com
- •List by Staff Last Name
•List by Departmental Unit
- Library Hours - Reference
- Monday - Thursday, 8:00 a.m. - 11:00 p.m.
- Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
- Saturday, 11:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- Sunday, 1:00 p.m. - 11:00 p.m.
Library hours vary by department and semester. For a listing of current
hours, visit http://www.library.uiuc.edu/services/hours.php.
- Board Meeting