The library was founded at the original meeting of the Natural History
Society of the State of Illinois in 1858 and has always had an official
librarian. In 1928 it became a part of the University of Illinois Library,
with the collection kept separate but made available to University students
and faculty. When the Natural Resources Building was built in 1938, the
Natural History Survey Library became a full departmental library of the
University of Illinois. Subject Strengths: Entomology; aquatic biology;
wildlife; botany; ichthyology; and ornithology.