Click on a question below to view the corresponding answer.
Horizon Peripherals List of Categories
- What are the minimum hardware requirements for a new Horizon workstation?
- What brand and model barcode scanner does Lincoln Trail recommend?
- What brand and model receipt printer does Lincoln Trail recommend?
What are the minimum hardware requirements for a new Horizon workstation?
* Minimum of a Pentium IV running Windows 2000, XP Pro, or VISTA
* One of the following browsers - IE V. 6.0 or later, Firefox V. 1.5.06 or later
* Minimum 1.8 GHz processor
* Minimum of 512 MB RAM
* Minimum 1.0 GB free disk space
* Minimum 10/100 Mbps NIC
* Color SVGA monitor
* Minimum working 20/48X CD-ROM Drive
* Mouse or track ball
What brand and model barcode scanner does LINC recommend?
Illinois Heartland does not recommend any particular brands/models of barcode scanners. If you want to be sure and purchase a brand/model that is compatible with Horizon, you could order the only brand/model scanner that SirsiDynix sells, which is a Metrologic 9540 Voyager. SirsiDynix requires a minimum order of three scanners and they cost at least double what they can be purchased for from other vendors.
However, there are numerous other brands and models that are compatible with Horizon. Just explain to a potential vendor that the scanner is to be used with the SirsiDynix Horizon library automation software, and the vendor should be able to assure you whether or not the scanner would be compatible with Horizon. Also, request that the vendor promise to help you configure it correctly to ensure it works with Horizon and, if for some unforeseeable reason it absolutely doesn't work with Horizon, they will let you return it with no "restocking" fee.
Horizon barcodes are in the 14 digit Codabar format.
Here is a small sampling of websites selling barcode scanners:
What brand and model receipt printer does LINC recommend?
Lincoln Trail does not recommend any particular brand/model of receipt printer. If you want to be sure and purchase a brand/model that is compatible with Horizon, you could order the brand and model(s) that SirsiDynix sells, which is Epson TM-U220AC or Epson TM-T90. SirsiDynix requires a minimum order of three printers and they cost at least double what they can be purchased for from other vendors.
Here are a few facts that may assist you in making a decision of which receipt printer to purchase:
* Thermal printers are more quiet than impact printers, but they are generally slightly more expensive and the supplies are generally slightly more expensive than impact printers.
* Receipt printers can be ordered with an auto-cutter or without an auto-cutter. An auto-cutter automatically cuts the receipt at the proper location, whereas a manual cutter requires the operator to advance the receipt and physically pull it across a serrated tear bar.
Autocutters are more convenient but also more prone to failure.
*You will need to know the type of connector (usually parallel or USB) on your Horizon workstation to which the receipt printer would be attached and order the same type of receipt printer.
A popular receipt printer in use by several member libraries is the Star TSP600. It and several other brands/models can be seen at:
Visit this website: http://www.ltls.org/HorizonDocuments.html to find the Horizon Receipt Printer Setup manual in Word or PDF format that you can either download or read online, that describes the steps necessary to enable a receipt printer to work on a Horizon workstation.