||ONARGA COMMUNITY PUBLIC LIBRARY DISTRICT
- 209 West Seminary Ave.
- Onarga, IL 60955-1131
- (815) 268-7626; Fax # (815) 268-4635
- Library E-Mail: email@example.com
- Library A Week Profile
Type of Library: Public/District
- Population Served: 3,943
- Volumes: 12,090
- Agency Code: ONN
- OCLC Code: MN1
- Reciprocal Borrowing Code: 27
- Feeling the need of better facilities for procuring books, a number of
local citizens organized and on December 4, 1858 elected a board for a
subscription library. The members donated 150 volumes and fixed shares
at $5.00 for anyone desiring to join. By 1861 the holdings had increased
to 500 volumes and shares to $10.00. In 1862 the organization used excess
funds, obtained from a Chicago excursion, to construct a library building.
This library continued until 1870; after a two-year closure, the share-holders
voted to donate the entire library to the village, provided it assume the
debt and maintain it as a public library. The village trustees accepted
the conditions on March 24, 1873; and the facilities became a public library.
In November of 1991 a successful referendum was held converting the Onarga
Library to a district library encompassing all of Onarga Township. In March
of 1994 Ridgeland Township was voted into the district.
- Director/Head Librarian: Kim Heft
Assistant Librarian: Alison Harroun
Clerks: Vicky Reetz; Ana Martinez
- Library Hours
- Monday, 12:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, 12:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, 12:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.
- Thursday, 10:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
- Friday, 12:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.
- Saturday, 10:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
- Board Meeting
- Every month on the second Tuesday at 7:00 p.m.
- President, Board of Directors
- John Bank
- E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org