||OAKWOOD PUBLIC LIBRARY DISTRICT
- PO Box 99, 110 E. Finley
- Oakwood, IL 61858
- (217) 354-4777; Fax # (217) 354-4782
Library E-Mail: OakwoodPublicLibrary@gmail.com
- Web Site: http://www.oakwood.lib.il.us/
- Get Directions
Type of Library: Public/District
- Population Served: 7,409
- Volumes: 15,000
- Agency Code: OKN
- OCLC Code: MM1
- Reciprocal Borrowing Code: 48
- Concerned citizens and community leaders from
the Oakwood area had an interest in establishing a public library in
the area for several years. In June 1985, members of the Oakwood Library
Advisory Committee met with representatives of Lincoln Trail Libraries
System to develop an LSCA Title I Grant proposal to establish a demonstration
library. The project, administered through the Illinois State Library,
was based on the components of "ideal" library
service described in the LTLS Strategic Planning Model research project
of 1985. Beginning in October 1986, the project provided library
service to approximately 4,000 citizens of the district and culminated
in a referendum to legally establish the library district in April 1987.
The referendum passed overwhelmingly by a 3 to 1 ratio. Library service
continued with a 2nd year grant through June 30, 1988. In July 1988,
proceeds from the library's first tax levy were received. On April 4,
1989, Oakwood annexed and expanded its district. The library purchased
the building in August 1992. A new building was completed in April 1998.
- Librarian: Beth Kent; E-Mail: OakwoodPublicLibrary@gmail.com
- Library Staff: Carolyn Brown, Terri Fink, Angie Miller, Kerrie Sexton,
Kay Warner, and Cindy West
- Library Hours
- Monday, 10:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, 12:00 noon - 8:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, 10:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
- Thursday, 12:00 noon - 8:00 p.m.
- Friday, 10:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
- Saturday, 9:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
- Board Meeting
- Every month on the second Tuesday at 7:00 p.m.
- President, Board of Directors
- Virginia Slusher