||NEWMAN REGIONAL LIBRARY DISTRICT
- 108 W. Yates
- P.O. Box 118
- Newman, IL 61942
- (217) 837-2412 Fax: (217) 837-2412
- Library E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Web Site: http://www.newmanregionallibrary.org
- Get Directions
Type of Library: Public/District
- Population Served: 1,351
- Agency Code: NEN
- OCLC Code: MJ1
- Reciprocal Borrowing Code: 25
- The earliest mention of any sort of library in Newman
was in 1892. Mrs. O. B. Ficklin established a library of 114 volumes at
an unknown location. In 1909, the Newman Women’s Club founded a library
for its members located in the grade school, later moving to the township
high school. It was open to the public on Friday afternoons. The library
moved to the Presbyterian Church in 1917, where it remained under the club’s
supervision until 1926.
The next mention of a library was in June 1936, when it was announced
that Newman Public Library would open under the sponsorship of the
Newman Kiwanis Club and the national Works Progress Administration
(WPA). As WPA programs ended in 1942, the community had to make a
choice, either loose the library or find another way to fund it.
In the spring of 1943 Newman Township voters passed a referendum
to approve a tax supported township library.
In 1972, the library settled in the building at 42 South Broadway. Then, when
the First State Bank of Newman vacated their storefront building at 108 W. Yates
Street, the library moved in on April 15, 1999.
Recognizing that many residents in the area did not have access to a public library,
NTL’s board of trustees and the township board agreed to convert the library
to a district library on July 1, 2006. This allows the library to serve people
beyond the township boundaries and provides for a strong future.
The library conducts an outreach program at Little Hall in Murdock, IL on
Wednesdays from 4-6 p.m. and on Saturdays from 12:30-2:00 p.m.
- Librarian: Renee Henry; E-Mail: email@example.com
- Library Hours
- Monday, 1:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, 9:00 a.m. - 12 noon; 3:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, 1:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.
- Thursday, 3:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.
- Friday, 1:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.
- Saturday, 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 noon
- Board Meeting
- Every month on the second Wednesday at 4:30 p.m.
- President, Board of Directors
- Penny Partenheimer