- 102 South Center Street, P. O. Box 129
- Melvin, IL 60952
- (217) 388-2421; Fax # (217) 388-2421
- Get Directions
Type of Library: Public/Township
- Population Served: 614
- Volumes: 8,600
- Agency Code: MMN
- OCLC Code: MG1
- Reciprocal Borrowing Code: 22
- Melvin Public Library grew from a project of the Melvin Junior Woman's
Club which organized in 1934. Club members donated their own books and
time and set up the library in a general store. The Works Progress Administration
(WPA) in 1939 made it possible to have a real library. The State supplied
a collection of books and paid the salary of the librarian. The library
was moved from the store to a town hall building. In 1942, a referendum
for tax support was passed, dropping the WPA; the wall separating the library
from the old jail was removed and this space is used for children's books.
In 1965, the library building was remodeled providing new glass brick windows,
a restroom, and air-conditioning; the rooms were completely redecorated.
In 1984, an additional room in the town hall building was made available
to the library and renovation allowed more space for the library collection.
- Librarian: Jacqueline Allen; E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Library Hours
- Monday, 12:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, 12:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, 12:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.
- Thursday, CLOSED
- Friday, 12:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- Saturday, 10:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
- Board Meeting
- January, March, April, June, August, October, and November on the fourth
Monday at 6:45 p.m.
- President, Board of Directors
- Cheryl Kurtenbach
- E-Mail: Cherylk@illicom.net