PAC - PAC Interface - DRAFT
Title of Action Item LINCPac Interface
(this would take the place of an existing policy called Pac Search Menusı
The LINC libraries moved to the Horizon software platform in 2004. Horizon utilizes a web-based catalog, called LINCPac. Changes to the LINCPac catalog were recommended by the LINCPac Enhancements Committee in January, 2005.
Previous policies about the PAC were quite detailed in their description of how the PAC should look. With the rapid increase in upgrades and future planned vendor changes to the functionality of LINCPAC, a need for a more general guide to the configuration of LINCPAC was needed so these changes could be accommodated without revisiting a detailed policy each time an upgrade occurs.
There is a need for patrons to be able to search multiple types of resources on the LINCPAC catalog. These resources will include:
1. Access to the bibliographic indexes that are available in the Horizon software.
2. Access to patron information that is available in the Horizon software.
3. Access to bestseller lists, book lists, book clubs, and other resources that promote reading.
4. Access to community information in communities in the LTLS service area.
5. Access to reference datatabases.
6. Access to collaborative reference services or question/answer services for virtual patrons.
Future Horizon functionality and changes will be accommodated as much as possible. Major changes to the LINCPac interface will have final approval of LINC Policy Council.