||GILMAN-DANFORTH DISTRICT LIBRARY
- 715 North Maple Street
- Gilman, IL 60938
- (815) 265-7522; Fax # (815) 265-4599
- Get Directions
Type of Library: Public/District
- Population Served: 3,049
- Volumes: 18,700
- Agency Code: GIN
- OCLC Code: JW0
- Reciprocal Borrowing Code: 15
- In February of 1870, nine men of the Gilman community met and organized
a Library Association and Literary Society. Shares valued originally at
five dollars (later at ten dollars) were sold to support the library. Eighty-seven
volumes were purchased the first year. By the end of the tenth year, the
library owned its building and furniture and had over 1,300 books. Following
a disastrous fire in 1881, another building was purchased for the library
in 1882. The library was transferred to the town in April 1902 (Gilman)
and became a free public library. In 1915, contracts were let for the present
building with financial assistance from the Carnegie Foundation. In 1916
a Carnegie library was built in Gilman, and it became known as the Douglas
Township Library. In 1988 the library converted to the Gilman Area District
Library. A new library building was completed in 2002, using funds from
the Colman Foundation, Live and Learn Construction grant, and local tax
revenue. On July 1, 2002 the name of the library officially changed to
the Gilman-Danforth District Library.
- Library Director: Sally Newbury; E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Library Assistants:
- Krystal Asay
- Bookkeeper: Bev Kuipers
- Library Hours
- Monday, 10:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, 10:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, 10:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.
- Thursday, 10:00 - 7:00 p.m.
- Friday, 10:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- Saturday, 10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
- Board Meeting
- Every month on the second Thursday at 7:00 p.m.
- President, Board of Directors
- William Stahlschmidt