||GOOSE CREEK TOWNSHIP CARNEGIE LIBRARY
- 130 North Highway Avenue
- P.O. Box 237
- DeLand, IL 61839
- (217) 664-3572; Fax # (217) 664-3624
- Library A Week Profile
Type of Library: Public/Township
- Population Served: 848
- Volumes: 10,484
- Agency Code: DEN
- OCLC Code: JW1
- Reciprocal Borrowing Code: 11
- The Goose Creek Township Carnegie Library was dedicated on December 2,
1912 after hard work by the concerned citizens and the unceasing efforts
of the DeLand Women's Club to obtain an $8,000 grant from Andrew Carnegie.
It is a red brick structure 30 by 47 feet. The main floor is divided into
two large rooms separated by a foyer containing the charging desk. Each
large room is divided into two smaller rooms separated by double stacks
allowing room for adult fiction, adult non-fiction, children's room and
workroom. There is a full basement with large meeting room and kitchen
and also space for periodical and seldom-used book storage. The library
began with 800 volumes. There have been only five full-time librarians
in its history. When the library was built in 1912, DeLand was said to
have been the smallest town in the U.S. to have a Carnegie Library, but
this is not true today. However, the last census indicated that we are
still the smallest in Illinois.
- Librarian: Melinda DelMastro; E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Library Hours
- Monday, 1:00 p.m. - 5:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, 1:00 p.m. - 5:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, 3:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.
- Thursday, 1:00 p.m. - 5:30 p.m.
- Friday, 1:00 p.m. - 5:30 p.m.
- Saturday, 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 noon
- Board Meeting
- Every month on the first Wednesday at 5:30 p.m.
- President, Board of Directors
- Donald Whisman